Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Questions about dairy

This question is for any of you who are successfully eating healthy and working out. Not to discriminate those who may just be starting, but this is more of a question to those who have been at it and successful for quite some time because they've formed a routine and usually know the ins and out of what they should/shouldn't be putting in their bodies..

Dairy... haha. I know that's not really a question, so here it is. Do you fit dairy into your daily routine, or do you tend to shy away from it?

The reason I ask is, I'm lactose intolerant. It's not super bad, but I have to be careful with some of the dairy I eat. For instance, I love cheese, but don't usually have any issues with it. Maybe because I don't eat enough of it to have issues. I also don't have any issues with yogurt, and regularly eat Greek yogurt. The issue comes in with milk. I have pretty much cut milk out of my diet. I mostly drink water, tea, and sometimes the occasional coffee if I'm tired and need a boost. I do use almond milk as well, but I don't regularly drink it. I don't go out of my way to have a glass of almond milk is what I'm saying.

I've been milk free for about a year now and lately I've been having INTENSE cravings for milk. I've tried to quench my craving by having some almond milk, but it just doesn't cut it. When I get the craving, it literally pops into my head and nags at me until I give in and have a glass of milk. And skim milk just won't do it either, I end up having to have a glass of 2% or even Vitamin D milk. Since I don't purchase milk, I tend to have a glass of whatever is in the house when I have my craving, which has been Vitamin D milk. So I guess my real question is, should I be cutting milk out of my diet like I have been? I've read arguments on both sides on why we should or shouldn't drink milk, but I guess I just want to come at if from a health standpoint. Is milk something I should continue to omit from my diet to lose the weight, or is it something I should put back into my diet in small amounts? I'm all ears! Let me hear what you think/have to say on the topic!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm not a big milk drinker either (I too have the lactose issues) so I rarely drink milk but I'm right there with you when it comes to cravings. A sandwich with a tall glass of milk, divine! But the craving is probably due to my body is telling me I need something that milk has (calcium). I would suggest getting Lactaid from the store. It's a tablet you take with your milk. They have generic that they sell at Target or W-mart for pretty cheap ($5-ish if I remember correctly). It's called 'Dairy Digestive Supplement' at w-mart and it's located in the same isle as the antacids. This really helps me out whenever I'm craving milk.
    Cheese doesn't bother people due to lactose being fermented during the cheese-making process. Which thank goodness because I would die without cheese!
    Good luck with your weight loss journey. I too hope to be getting back on track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kel!

      I think I am going to have to invest in Lactaid & the like. With how my milk cravings have been, I just can't see myself denying something my body is obviously needing/craving haha. And I too would DIE without cheese, I just love it so much, haha!

      Yessss, come back to MyfitnessPal and get back on track with me soon! :)

      Delete